Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Field Trip

     Some times in the quest for fun and interesting things to do, it is easy to over look what is most convenient.  There is a wonderful little living history museum just a few miles from our house, but in the four + years we've been here I'd never been!  It took a co-op field trip for me to finally take the kids to a really cool educational place.






The house and outbuildings are furnished to evoke the period from 1795- 1840, which makes it especially neat if you have read books such as the Little House books or Understood Betsy.  It's fun to look around and say, I know what that is! So-in-so had one in this book. 








I didn't get to look around as much as I would have liked, since Samuel was obsessed with getting into the 200 year old cradle that was in the house.  He also can't pass by a chair without sitting in it, so a house full of chairs that he couldn't sit in was pure torture.  So as you can see from the pictures, most of my time was spent dragging Abriel around while trying to keep up with Samuel, who took particular interest in climbing the fence and running into the spring house.












At the end of the tour, the children dipped their own beeswax candle.  The smell of melted beeswax is heavenly.   Anna's candles came out a little crookidy, but I think it added to their artistic charm.  I found just the right candle holder for them, and they look delightful on out nature table.














No comments:

Post a Comment